The Forest is protected!
Cleveland High School Memorial Forest Conservation Easement Agreement with King County and Memorandum of Understanding with the Cleveland High School Alumni Association
On March 10, 2021 the Cleveland High School Alumni Association was successful in its efforts to convince Seattle Public Schools (SPS) to sell the development rights to the Memorial Forest to King County Parks Department (KCPD). This major accomplishment means
- SPS retains ownership of the property
- SPS collects $3.47 million from KCPD
- Easement placed on the property to restrict development
- Property is added to KCPD Forest Conservation plan
- CHS alumni can rest assured that the property is protected.
Details about this meeting can be found at SeattleSchools.org:
- CHSAA is allowed to provide a new concrete sign “The Cleveland High School Memorial Forest”
- SPS will consider rebuilding the existing lyceum ($120K-$150K)
- CHSAA and SPS will consider a feasibility study for managing the CHS Memorial Forest, featuring selective harvesting and replanting